Monday, September 19, 2011

Obstacles to eating healthy


One thing I am worried about with getting the Lap band is making healthy eating choices. Besides my body's wonderful ability to gain weight and keep it on, I am a terribly picky eater. Always have been - I lived on peanut butter and crackers until I was 5, then french fries, and bean burritos. I have NEVER eaten a hamburger and I didn't eat chicken nuggets until the 7th grade. All the way through high school and most of college I lived on side dishes. Baked potatoes, french fries (gosh I love my fries), mac & cheese, peas, mashed potatoes, anything potato for that matter. I still look at the side dishes first on a menu. During college I learned to eat a protein with my meals and I learned to cook - still with an emphasis on side dishes though. I do not like typical lean proteins associated with diet foods - tuna fish (gag!!!) and turkey. I do like chicken, but that can be BORING! I also do not like vinegar or pickled foods, onions, mustard, mayo (unless in dressing), ketchup, chinese food or brussell sprouts. I do like yogurt, asparagus, green beans, peas, lettuce (even the dark kind), snap peas, & broccoli.

Obstacle #1- Missing ingredients
So tonight I thought I would make a nice healthy dinner with low fat chicken sausage, broccoli, and barilla plus pasta, but I was out of an ingredient that I thought made the meal - parmesan cheese. I wouldn't use a lot , but I can't imagine pasta without it. This obstacle led to a healthy diet failure - a Totinos Party Pizza. Cheap, easy and I like them. They remind me of my childhood. Yes - I eat like a 5 year old.
What are your obstacles to eating healthy? Do you have any quick healthy, yummy meal ideas that I can use when I face an obstacle like tonights?

Cheers!
Robin Wine Girl

14 comments:

  1. Making good food choices is about 80% of your success with the band. The band will not make those choices for you. Just a fyi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always felt horrible after having the intention of making a wonderfully healthy meal, and for whatever reason going stray from the plan. My next choice would then go from bad to worse, because I would think one of my best lines "I'll just start tomorrow". Now that I've been on this liquid diet for 10 days... it has really reshaped and refocused how I look at food. I can relate to you oh so much, and wish you the best of luck with your food choices!!
    <3 The Banded Army Wife

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: I'm sending banded bloggers your way to say "hi". There is lots of great info to be shared among all the AWESOME banded bloggers out in the blogosphere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower :) http://insidevoutside.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. New follower here! Lap Band Gal sent me!! I can't wait to follow your journey!

    http://therestofmylifelisa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Robin....you will become more and more interested with healthy choices after you get the band... and have restriction... because you can only eat so much....and you will need it to feed your body. This group of blogging LBer's is filled with recipes and ideas to get past any issues you might have. Glad we found you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! I have just started the journey too! I am excited! We will go through this together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. New Follower here! Lap Band Gal sent me! I grew up in Napa Valley so I can relate to everything wine.
    http://kellibelliband.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm enjoying a glass of Pinot noir as I type this-- welcome to BOOBS, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi. New Follower (Lap Band Gal sent me too).
    I sometimes eat Lean Cuisines (and they have pizza too).
    http://robynnest-robyn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. You all make me so happy! So nice to meet all of you and thank you for the support!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. New follower and semi new blogger here! Feel free to follow my blog as well, as I am in the beginning stages of my journey too! My surgeon consult is the day of your seminar, so good luck to you! I cant wait to read more as you continue with your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know that it seems daunting at first, when you have lived on such processed foods most of your life. But if someone had told me four years ago that I would HATE the taste of soda I would have laughed in their faces. Or that I would never eat another hamburger...LOL

    You can change how you see food, you can. It is just a matter of education and desire and then the band, oh the wonderful band who keeps, the portions where they need to be!

    I hope you find the info that you need to keep going, no matter what your choice is regarding surgery!

    We are here for you!

    ReplyDelete