Friday, March 23, 2012

The results are in and Ole?


Sorry that I have not been around, but I have just been patiently waiting to hear back from my insurance company whether I have been approved or not. Throughout this process I have come to the conclusion that my surgeon's office staff is totally incompetent. Last week I received a letter from my insurance company that they needed more information (the basics- psych eval, nutritionist, physical exam, etc.) to review my case (shouldn’t this have been submitted originally?).  This was good, as this time I finally had a reference number to use when calling them as in the past 4 submissions I had nothing to reference.  Well I used that reference number this morning and here is the latest in my saga...
I called my insurance company this morning because I have stopped relying on my surgeon's office for status updates as they never have a clue and bad news they told me I was denied for the lap band. The reason - a BMI of 39.6 with no comorbidities. I am really confused as to why my BMI was listed at 39.6 as the doctor said I had a 41 BMI. Even with that, I still can't believe they denied me because of 4 pounds! Ridiculous!
I spoke with my doctor's office this afternoon and they said that most likely my insurance company used a different BMI calculator to calculate my BMI. I am really frustrated because according to my calculations I do have at least a BMI of 40. I know that I am right on the edge, but seriously to deny me for 4 pounds is ridiculous! My doctor's office said that my only option is to appeal with a letter about how unhealthy I am. They can't resubmit or adjust the numbers, I can only appeal. I am not sure how this will work as they denied me because of 4 pounds and if I don't meet the requirement, I don't meet the requirement. My other concern is why didn't my doctor consider that they might use a different calculator? They submit to Anthem on a daily basis and they should know the ins and outs. Argh!!!
I am devastated, frustrated, upset, beyond words about all of this.  I am seriously considering going to Mexico as an option. I spoke with Dr Ortiz's office in TJ today and I can be in surgery in just two weeks! All for less than my deductible/ copay and my doctors stupid $3000 program fee. I should have just gone to Mexico in the first place.  Anyone use Dr. Ortiz?
Sorry for the rant but this is from 6 months of frustration.

Cheers,
Robin

6 comments:

  1. Oh poor you. It must be so frustrating. There are quite a few bloggers who have gone to Mexico for surgery but I can't remember who there surgeons are.
    How would surgery over the boarder fit with getting fills and aftercare from your local provider?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go check out Amanda Kiska's blog - Amanda's Waning. She had surgery in Mexico, and it was an awesome experience. She's a big ol' rockstart, too, and lost over 100 lbs, I believe. If you check my followers you can find her picture, and if should link to her blog. Good luck, love...so sorry for all this garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry! I had to pay for my surgery on my own. I didn't go to Mexico though. I used a doctor here and it was $10,000, but now it's gone down to $8,888.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, what part of the country are you in? My surgeon charges $23K! I can't imagine $8888! May be worth the trip!

      Delete
  4. Your post has me really scared. I am at 39.1 BMI now and I am 3 months into my 6 month weight loss program. I am planning to start gaining a few pounds but I didn't want to gain more than a few (6 gets me back to 40 BMI by my calculator). Do you mind telling me your insurance company? I am so happy (that is weird) you found out you have sleep apnea...you should be successful on your appeal. I can't self pay because they want $23K!!! Not happening. Mexico really scares me and I know my husband would not like that idea. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My insurance is Anthem Blue Cross of California. They are sticklers. You should be okay as you are under a supervised WLP. I really hope that I can be approved with the sleep apnea, because I don't really want to have to use a CPAP for the rest of my life. Good luck with your approval. I wish you the best!

      Delete