When I learned that I was denied for the lap band (by a couple tenths of a point) I began researching my options for how I could get to Lap Band Land. My options include: I could go to Mexico for the surgery, discover a comorbidity, or self pay. I decided my best option was to research sleep apnea as I have been experiencing the symptoms. After an appointment with my PCP and a sleep specialist I was scheduled for a sleep study. Now almost 5 weeks later here I am.
Last night I had the pleasure of staying the night at my local sleep disorder lab. I have a host of sleep disorders (possible sleep apnea, insomnia, hypersomnia, and restless leg) so they had their work cut out for them. It was quite the experience, not like staying at the Westin, but not as bad as a Motel 6 either. I checked in at 8 pm and I was shown to my room. Once in my room I was shown the amenities: color TV, WiFi, double sized bed, reading lamps, and the monitoring equipment. I was asked to fill out a simple survey and they requested I change into my jammies. I was then left to get comfy for the next hour. Around 9:15 they wired me up. I almost took a picture of myself, but I looked so crazy I couldn't do it for fear that it would be used against me someday - Robin Wine Girl for President! I had wires glued, yes they glued them all over my scalp and face. I also had wires attached to belts across my chest and my waist. Then another two more wires were attached to my right leg. Once I was all wired up, I was returned to my room to "relax" for a while before bed. Thank goodness I had my iPhone crossword puzzles to keep me busy. Around 10:45 I was tucked into bed by the attendant. They also let me take Benadryl for my insomnia as they needed me to actually sleep. Once all of my wires were plugged into the wall I was left to go to sleep - under closed circuit video surveillance! They also had a speaker by my head to listen for any snoring, gurgling, talking, and who knows what else. I was told that they may need to wake me around 3 am if I was experiencing severe sleep apnea. I was sure that this would be just like all my other tests and be inconclusive but low and behold she woke me at 3 am to apply a CPAP machine. WOW! What an experience! I liked it! Once I fell back asleep (about 20 -30 minutes later) I slept great. I feel like I have had the best sleep ever! Amazing! I haven't felt this rested in years!
So the next step in my journey to Lap Band Land is to appeal Anthem's denial with my sleep apnea as it is listed as a comorbidity. I should have done this in the beginning back in October. I would have been well on my way by now. My advice to all of you is to have a sleep study before applying.
Cheers!
Robin Wine Girl
Sounds like a plan....wishing you the best!
ReplyDeleteGreat advice my friend :)
ReplyDeleteKeeping my fingers crossed for you!
ReplyDeleteThats the exact way i felt when I got my cpap machine it was like OMG thats what sleep feels like
ReplyDelete