Friday, January 13, 2012

The waiting begins....

Well, I have sealed my fate.  Today I met with my surgeon for one more weigh-in before submitting my application to my insurance.  My weight has been up and down over the past few weeks and I really didn't know which way it would swing.  My appointment was in the morning and my weight is usually low before lunchtime, but it was the only appointment available so I took it.  Since my time is limited in regards to COBRA, savings running out, etc, I figured I would take my chances.  Before leaving the house, I weighed myself and it was lower than yesterday.  After putting on my heaviest jeans, a belt and a bulky sweater it was up 2 pounds.  Still a pound or two low, but I had to go.
I drank a large glass of water and an iced latte on the way.  I get to the surgeon's office and hope that my cells have swelled from last night's salty dinner and my beverages and sign in.  After a bit I am taken back and weighed.  -------Well, I came in a bit short of the magic number.  
After being escorted into an exam room to wait for the Doctor I frantically entered my numbers into my BMI calculator on my phone and I am short of the magic number by .04 with a 39.6 BMI.  I need a BMI of 40 to be approved!
The Doctor comes in and we chat and she comments on how my weight is all over the place.  I explain that is one of the reasons why I have issues as I won't gain any weight for weeks, then BAM!, I gain 7 pounds.  A week later I will have lost a couple and the cycle repeats.  She seems to understand and we talk about moving forward with the procedure.  She didn't seem concerned that I was short by .04 but I am.  She also told me that I need to begin cleaning up my diet in preparation for the Lap Band.  That means no more potatoes or starchy carbs for that matter.  My side dishes are to include vegetables only.  Too bad, I just bought a 10lb bag of potatoes the other day (they were on sale and I am on a budget now).  So anyone want a bag of potatoes or the boxes of pasta in my pantry?
So now I get to wait for approval without the comfort of my beloved potatoes.  BLAH!  I know that I have to give them up anyways, but I am still sad.  O'well, I would rather be thin than eat potatoes.  
BTW- Anyone out there have Anthem Blue Cross in California and get approval with an almost 40 BMI and no co-morbities?  Wish me luck!


Cheers!
Robin Wine Girl

9 comments:

  1. Good luck, wow .4 kg , You would think it wouldn't make such a difference?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. will keep my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eat potatoes, too. You'll need them during your post-op diet, mashed potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin, I had a bmi of 39.6 before I was accepted by my insurance! Keep your chin up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! I will be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck getting approved!! I don't have insurance so I got Care Credit and am paying for the surgery out of pocket. It's a bit tough but I'm 3 days out of the surgery and already feel lighter (except for the bloating) LOL. Anyway, best to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got my fingers crossed--your surgeon will work for you so I bet you will be approved.

    ReplyDelete