Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A bit of a conundrum....

I am in a bit of a conundrum.  Last Friday I got the horrible news that my company was downsizing and that I was being laid off.  Huge bummer to the ego and the pocketbook.  Plus, I am right in the middle of the approval process with my insurance for coverage of the lap band.  UGH!  This is not good timing!  Unlike other layoffs I have endured, this one does not include severance pay.  Thank goodness I had two weeks of vacation stockpiled.  With unemployment and my meager savings I will be able to make ends meet just until April.  I am wondering if I should continue with the lap band at this moment.  I have COBRA for my insurance and the cost isn't too bad and now I have the time for recovery.  Best of all, I don't have to tell me employer that I am going in for surgery (I wasn't planning on telling them for what though.)
I am really wondering if I should put the lap band on hold.  I have come so far and I am almost there.  I am worried about my finances and I am just not sure of what is going to happen.  Here are a couple of scenarios that are playing out in my head:


1. My insurance approves me ASAP and I have surgery the last week in January.  I get a new job within the next 4 weeks and I am golden.


2. My insurance takes forever to approve me, then surgery 4 weeks later,  I get a job 4-6 weeks later and its the first week of April.  I am really low on cash and a bit in debt.


3. My insurance approves me ASAP I have the surgery, but I can't find a new job for six months.  I have to start paying the medical bills and unemployment just isn't covering it.


4. My insurance doesn't approve me and I am screwed fat and unemployed!


Has anyone else been unemployed during the process?  What did/ would you do?


Until later....
Cheers!
Robin Wine Girl






6 comments:

  1. First I am SO sorry to hear this news. I really am. I was laid off 7 months ago and was able to get a quick position with our biggest competitor. I am not sure how to answer this because I don't know exactly what you do. I am however a tech recruiter so have a lot of experience in positions. What type of position were you in? Are there many or was yours a rare position and hard to find a replacement??

    I have worked 3 months on getting the band. I was submitted this morning and actually approved from insurance within 2 hours. I was blown away. So a lot of people are getting approved quick because of the new year. ? Not sure if that helps. Try Linked In as well. Amazing spot to network and contact people directly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Robin, I am so sorry! And I really don't what to say about your decision. Wow! I will say prayers for you. My thoughts are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very sorry about the job. I am not sure what they job market is like in California so I can't really comment on what I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. I have been moping since Friday, but tonight I had an epiphany. Why wait until I am banded to start my journey? I have read some bloggers that say they can't even tell they have it. First I will start drinking 64+ oz of water per day - sipping no gulping and making sure I get 65+ grams of protein per day. No more waiting or excuses for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin So sorry to hear this! I hope and pray that things will work out for you ASAP!!! Keep pressing forward!!! Be positive!!! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear the news. Keep us posted. Such bad timing.

    ReplyDelete