I am just wondering if anyone out there gained any weight before applying to their insurance in hopes of getting approval? I am not saying that I am doing this, but part of me says why not. I am only 10lbs short of the magic BMI of 40 and as my PCP told me my co morbidities might not gain me approval. I know that if I continue on my way of struggling with my weight I will gain 10lbs by January on my own if there isn't some drastic intervention (like the Lap Band). 10lbs on me will barely even show and if gaining 10lbs can get me the help to lose 50% of my excess weight, why not? There is also the money issue. Approval means that 80% of the procedure will be covered, versus 0%. So my question is would you or have you ate what ever you wanted prior to weighing-in in order to get approved by your insurance?
Cheers!
Robin Wine Girl
My BMI is under 40 but my insurance approved it anyway because of my high bp and sleep apnea. Has you insurance denied you or is that just what your PCP told you? My PCP didn't really know the correct guidelines used my insurance...but my surgeon's office knew exactly how to get it approved. After thay submitted it took less than a week for my insurance to approve it. Check with your surgeon's office first.
ReplyDeleteI feel like I am subconciously doing this...because my BMI is exactly 40 and I haven't submitted anything official yet to the insurance, I am afraid of losing weight and having my BMI go under. I am being way more lenient on what I've been eating lately and am kind of like so what if I gain weight. Probably an absolutely horrible idea because I feel like I have gained weight, but yeah...I know where you're coming from !
ReplyDeleteUhm.... change (by the rolls), cell phone, bar-bells in a pocket doesn't hurt - just sayin'...
ReplyDeleteI will tell you the more weight you gain the harder and longer you will have to work to get it off. I wish I would have lost weight before my surgery and I did not!
ReplyDeleteI would verify with your insurance company their standards that you must obtain to get approval. I would also ask for this in writing. I was lucky and I met the criteria easily although I had no comorbidites except for borderline high blood pressure.
I understand your deep desire to get the band, but I am not thinking that gaining more weight is in your best interest!
Remember when you go into your appointment wear heavy clothes, shoes, and jewelry. While you might not go light on the food I would not TRY to gain 10 lbs. You are doing what a lot of us did before meeting with the doctors in the beginning. I stressed and stressed and was for sure I would be denied. But it all worked out in the wash!
ReplyDeleteUmm, maybe gain a few pounds, but not 10. You still have to work hard to get it off. Wear the heavy clothes, shoes, and put some stuff in your pocket.
ReplyDeleteThe problem with doing that... is what if you do gain the weight and they still turn you down... They you are stuck with 10 extra pounds. I would contact your insurance company and see what they require.
ReplyDeleteCould you step on the scale with your weighted down purse on your arm?
ReplyDeleteI did, and I was about that close. In fact, my patient advocate suggested it in my first appointment. I know that's terrible.
ReplyDelete